Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) is a daily pill that can help you stay HIV-negative. The medicines in PrEP can protect you before you might be exposed to HIV.
Daily PrEP to Prevent HIV: The Basics
- Consider PrEP – PrEP is for HIV-negative people who are at risk of being exposed to HIV through sex or injecting drugs and who are ready to take a daily pill.
- Talk to Your Doctor – You need to speak with a doctor or nurse before you start using PrEP. Your doctor or nurse can help you decide if PrEP is right for you.
- Take PrEP Every Day – PrEP is taking daily in pill form. Do not skip a dose. PrEP works much better at stopping HIV if you take it every day.
- Use Condoms – Even if you take PrEP daily, condoms give you additional protection against HIV, other sexually transmitted infections and unintended pregnancy. PrEP does not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV infection.
- Know the Common Side Effects – PrEP can have mild side effects, like stomach pain, weight loss and headaches, especially at the beginning of treatment. PrEP may not be right for everyone. Talk to your doctor.
- Find Out about Paying for PrEP – Many insurance plans including Medicaid cover PrEP. Assistance may be available if you are uninsured.
PrEP Cost Calculator
PrEPCost.org is an online health plan finder that helps PrEP navigators identify and compare Marketplace coverage options for their clients. PrEPcost.org is now available for the 2018 Federally Facilitated Marketplace. We are working to offer health plan assessments in state-based marketplaces as soon as possible.
For people eligible for PrEP, assessing the best insurance options available through the Marketplaces and signing up for coverage can be difficult to navigate. PrEPcost.org searches across plans in the Marketplace and evaluates PrEP coverage to find the best plans available. The results show the total estimated cost of PrEP care under each plan, making it easy for users to compare them.
Visit PrEPcost.org today to start comparing coverage options and help your clients access PrEP.
Granite State PrEP Connect
The New Hampshire HIV Planning Group has partnered with Granite State PrEP Connect, your connection to all things PrEP in New Hampshire. Please visit the Granite State PrEP Connect website for more information and the most up-to-date listing of PrEP providers in the state. You may also contact the statewide PrEP navigator by calling or texting the Granite State PrEP Line at 508-686-PrEP (7737), or by emailing email@example.com.
Additional resources and guidelines for providers can be found here.
More information on free, confidential PrEP navigation services can be found here.
Where can I get PrEP in New Hampshire?
It is always best to talk with your primary care physician about all your medical/health issues and concerns including PrEP. If your physician is not familiar with PrEP, there are provider resources that can help. If this is not an option for you, there are currently eleven PrEP clinics in NH and VT for NH residents:
- Equality Health Center – Concord 38 South Main Street, Concord, NH | Toll free 855-502-3858 | Local calls 603-225-2739
- Joan G. Lovering Health Center 559 Portsmouth Ave, Greenland, NH | Toll Free: 1-877-436-7588 | Phone: 603-436-7588
- Dartmouth Hitchcock HIV Program 1 Medical Center Drive Lebanon, NH 03756 | Phone: 603-650-6060
- Dick’s House 7 Rope Ferry Rd. Hanover, NH 03755 | Phone: 603-646-9400 | *student health for Dartmouth College students only
- Planned Parenthood – Manchester 24 Pennacook Street, Manchester, NH 03104 | Phone: 603-669-7321
- Planned Parenthood – Derry 4 Birch St. Derry, NH 03038 | Phone: 603-434-1354
- Planned Parenthood – Claremont 136 Pleasant St Claremont, NH 03743 | Phone: 603-542-4568
- Planned Parenthood – Keene 8 Middle St. Keene, NH 03431 | Phone: 603-352-6898
- Planned Parenthood – Exeter 108 High St. Exeter, NH 03833 | Phone: 603-772-9315
- Planned Parenthood – White River Junction 79 S Main St. White River Junction, VT 05001 | Phone: 802-281-6056
- Planned Parenthood – St. Johnsbury 501 Portland St. St. Johnsbury, VT 05819 | Phone: 802-751-7821
Granite State PrEP Hotline: 508-686-PrEP (7737)
Call or text seven days a week for questions relating to all things PrEP, HIV testing, and sexual health. More information available at nhprepconnect.org